3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 8, 2020 10:46 AM by Thomas Richardson

    Looking for WWII records for Herbert Host


      I am looking for any WWII military records for Herbert Host from Brooklyn, NY (my grandfather).  I know he was part of the Normandy invasion but I think he came across the channel on day 2 or 3. Thanks!

        • Re: Looking for WWII records for Herbert Host
          joan stachnik Tracker

          Valerie, the online Army Enlistment records from the National Archives lists a Herbert Host of New York, born 1922. Enlistment date of 29 Oct 1942, and army serial number 32610982. If this is your grandfather, you can use his enlistment dates and ASN when requesting his service records (if any) from the National Archives. There are a number of posts on this forum regarding requesting WWII service records.  Hope this is of some help. joan

          1 person found this helpful
          • Re: Looking for WWII records for Herbert Host
            Thomas Richardson Navigator

            Dear Ms. Sorensen-Clark,


            Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


            We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for those who served in the U.S. Armed Forces and who were separated from the service prior to 1958 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where Army and Army Air Corps personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Navy and Marine Corps OMPFs were not affected by the fire. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. You also may fax the form to 314-801-9195. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


            Due to the coronavirus public health emergency, the National Personnel Records Center is servicing only urgent requests related to homeless veterans, medical emergencies, and funerals which may be faxed to 314-801-0764.  We thank you for your patience and look forward to resuming normal operations when the public health emergency has ended.


            We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!


            1 person found this helpful