1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 15, 2020 12:37 PM by Cara Jensen

    How to find probation records for Pennsylvania


      I have a probation card from my great grandfather, and would like to find out what it was for. He was in the Pittsburgh area of PA, and the card indicates 1928.

        • Re: How to find probation records for Pennsylvania
          Cara Jensen Tracker

          Dear Ms. Callis,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          We searched the National Archives Catalog and located a series titled the Criminal Case Files, 1791 - 1883 in the Records of District Courts of the United States (Record Group 21) that may include the criminal records for your great-grandfather. For access to these records, please contact the National Archives at Philadelphia (RE-PA) via email at philadelphia.archives@nara.gov.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RE-PA. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


          We also suggest that you search the Pennsylvania, Prison, Reformatory, and Workhouse Records, 1829-1971 site from Ancestry.com or contact the Pennsylvania State Archives for access to that collection of records.  There may be a fee for using Ancestry. Instead, you may wish to contact your local library. Many library systems subscribe to these sites, making them free for patrons.


          We hope this is helpful.  Best of luck with your family research!