1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 8, 2020 6:57 AM by Jason Atkinson

    Seeking information about headstones

    Donna Riordan Newbie

      How can I get a headstone for my dad and have my mom's name put on it too? They are in the same grave.

        • Re: Seeking information about headstones
          Jason Atkinson Ranger

          Dear Ms. Riordan,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

          To apply for a headstone for a veteran, please fill out VA Form 40-1330 and mail it to the Memorial Products Service (41B), Department of Veterans Affairs, 5109 Russell Road. Quantico, VA 22134-3903. For more information, please review the Department of Veterans Affairs’s web page Veterans headstones, markers, and medallions. You may contact the Memorial Products Service via email at mps.headstones@va.gov for further assistance.


          If you require proof of service, we suggest that you request a copy of the veteran’s Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for those who served in the U.S. Armed Forces throughout most of the 20th century are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where Army and Army Air Corps personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Navy and Marine Corps OMPFs were not affected by the fire. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Veterans' Service Records.


          Due to the coronavirus public health emergency, the National Personnel Records Center is servicing only urgent requests related to homeless veterans, medical emergencies, and funerals which may be faxed to 314-801-0764.  We thank you for your patience and look forward to resuming normal operations when the public health emergency has ended.


          If the veteran served during the 1990s or more recently, his or her service records may still be with the branch of service.  Please see our web page Locations of Service Records for details.


          We hope this information is helpful.