3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 21, 2020 7:47 PM by Stefan Eagle Gilkerson Branched from an earlier discussion.

    Seeking Army rosters after 1974

    Elliot Schneider Ranger

      I have contacted the Army Records Officer. He always forwards individuals on to the Army Records Declassification Agency. Then he delegates and sends out a letter saying that RMDA does not hold records and tell you to contact NARA. Then NARA says it's still in the custody of the Army, and to basically do what you stated. But his office never fully allows access to any rosters. Because the RMDA does not hold them. I once told him yes the "Army" still owns them and yes they are held at NARA. Cannot tell you how many times he has given me the run around. I actually had to file a FOIA request to obtain rosters. It really should not be this difficult. Someone told me once I should actually fill out SF-180 form and send to NPRC in St. Louis Any words of wisdom for many of us in this same boat. Thanks

        • Re: Seeking Army rosters after 1974
          Rebecca Collier Ranger

          Dear Mr. Schneider,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          Recently, we have received more details about SIDPERS. In October 1974, the Army Standard Installation Division Personnel System (SIDPERS) included Personnel Data Cards (PDC) that replaced Morning Reports and Zero Strength Balance Reports (ZSBR) that replaced rosters. A SIDPERS contains information on the service member during the entire period of time assigned to an organization, regardless of length of time. It also includes information about TDY, AWOL, DEF, gains, losses, promotions, reductions. SIDPERS was discontinued on November 21, 1990. For a copy of a SIDPERS record, please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and it mail to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Please include the individual's name, Social Security Number, complete organization and location, and the date the individual left the unit.


          We hope this is helpful.


          1 person found this helpful
          • Re: Seeking Army rosters after 1974

            I used to be an international Investigstor for the War Babies Community for Iceland, Norway, Great Britain, Germany and Australia. The information you seek should be at the NPRC, since they most likely get tons of emails, old school might work better i.e. Fax or regular registered mail where someone has to sign for the letter and you get a receipt sent back to you via snail mail. I have found FOIA is pretty much useless unless you are the media. Legislators in Congress and the Senate a few years back changed the law on this and removed funding and resources for this. In your case recommend you go directly to the National Archives in Merryland, they have research rooms there like an old style library where you can go through their records and pretty much and find what you need. If you do goto Merryland, suggest you take a laptop, a neat reciept wand scanner (You can pick this up at Bestbuy for about 170 dollars) trust me this is worth its weight in gold for what it can do for you. Then you can scan the documents into the Neat Reciept software on your computer and later export it into PDF. Take a good camera with you as well as a backup to take pictures of documents if you have to fall back on it if you are in a hurry. Also, when I was there last, they had a preferred vendors list that you could get, and if in a bind you can hire one and have them research for you on site. Last time I checked, their hourly rate is pretty high. Hope this helps