1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 8, 2020 5:12 PM by Rebecca Collier Branched from an earlier discussion.

Seeking reports of Marine Corps & my friend's records

Ronald Scalf Newbie

I am also seeking reports of Marine Corps team, squad, platoon & company leaders on my friend who passed away in 1983. He was badly wounded in 1970 in Vietnam and died of Agent Orange-related cancer.

• Re: Seeking reports of Marine Corps & my friend's records
          Rebecca Collier Ranger

Dear Mr. Scalf,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

To determine the unit he served in, we suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and medical records of officers and enlisted personnel of the U.S. Marine Corps who were separated from service after 1958 and prior to May 1994 are located at NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NRPC), (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.  To request these records, please mail a completed GSA Standard Form 180 to NPRC.  You also may fax the form to 314-801-9195. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. Certain information in the records is not available to the general public without the written consent of the veteran or his next of kin. For more information see Request Military Service Records.

Due to the coronavirus public health emergency, the National Personnel Records Center is servicing only urgent requests related to homeless veterans, medical emergencies, and funerals which may be faxed to 314-801-0764.  We thank you for your patience and look forward to resuming normal operations when the public health emergency has ended.

Once you know the unit, please search the Command Chronologies and Related Documentation, 4/1962 - 6/1987 and Vietnam War Era Command Chronologies Files in the Records of the Marine Corps (Record Group 127) by using the National Archives Catalog. The 1st series is digitized and the 2nd is mostly digitized. Some records overlap. Please note that these records will not include specific records of teams, squads, platoons & companies. Records of lower echelon units sometimes were incorporated into the files of the battalion or regiment.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

1 person found this helpful