1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 1, 2020 4:39 PM by Jason Atkinson

    How to get plaque for a grave headstone


      How do I get a plaque for a grave headstone?

        • Re: How to get plaque for a grave headstone
          Jason Atkinson Ranger

          Dear Mr. Bissonnette,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

          Please review the Department of Veterans Affairs’s web page Veterans headstones, markers, and medallions for instructions on how to apply for a headstone, grave or niche marker, or medallion to honor a Veteran, service member, or eligible family member. The management of the cemetery may be able to assist you with this process.


          If you require proof of service, we suggest that you request a copy of the veteran’s Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for those who served in the U.S. Armed Forces throughout most of the 20th century are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where Army and Army Air Corps personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Navy and Marine Corps OMPFs were not affected by the fire. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Veterans' Service Records.


          Due to the coronavirus public health emergency, the National Personnel Records Center is servicing only urgent requests related to homeless veterans, medical emergencies, and funerals which may be faxed to 314-801-0764.  We thank you for your patience and look forward to resuming normal operations when the public health emergency has ended.


          If the veteran served during the 1990s or more recently, his or her service records may still be with the branch of service.  Please see our web page Locations of Service Records for details.


          We hope this information is helpful.