1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 8, 2020 9:23 AM by Jason Atkinson

    Where do I find where my father was stationed in the military?


      Where do I find where my (potential) biological father was stationed while in the military? He had 3 stints (2 in the Air Force and 1 in the Navy). I'm particularly interested in the 1st stint, which would coincide with my conception.

        • Re: Where do I find where my father was stationed in the military?
          Jason Atkinson Ranger

          Dear Ms. Laws,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          We suggest that you request a copy of the veteran’s Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for those who served in the U.S. Armed Forces throughout most of the 20th century are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where Air Force personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Navy OMPFs were not affected by the fire. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. If there is any information requested by the form you do not know, you may omit it or provide estimates, however the more information you provide, the easier it will be for NPRC staff to locate the correct file. For more information see Veterans' Service Records.


          While his OMPFs from his earlier enlistment terms service should have been added to his OMPF for his most recent enlistment term, to ensure that NPRC staff know to look for both files, please attach a memo or letter to your request explaining his service history (please be as specific as possible about dates), and specifying that you want the full files for all of his terms of service. You may provide any additional information you have about him that may help locate his file. Please do not provide original copies of any family documents, as NPRC will not be able to return them to you.


          Due to the coronavirus public health emergency, the National Personnel Records Center is servicing only urgent requests related to homeless veterans, medical emergencies, and funerals which may be faxed to 314-801-0764.  We thank you for your patience and look forward to resuming normal operations when the public health emergency has ended.


          If the veteran served during the 1990s or more recently, his or her service records may still be with the branch of service.  Please see our web page Locations of Service Records for details.


          We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!