2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 8, 2020 11:16 AM by Thomas Richardson

Seeking my grandfather's Army service and medical records

leslie Daly Newbie

My grandfather fought in WWI and we are trying to fill in missing sections of his service record and most importantly, his medical records as they pertain to his service. Also, we found evidence of a Victory Medal but have no idea of where it may have gone. Where should I begin? Thank you

• Re: Seeking my grandfather's Army service and medical records
          Carl Urich Wayfarer

Good morning.

To obtain copies of the the requested records, you may download and complete a Standard Form 180 (https://www.archives.gov/files/sf180-request-pertaining-to-military-records-exp-april2018-1.pdf ).

You may then mail the completed form to the National Personnel Records Center at the following address:

National Personnel Records Center
          1 Archives Drive
          St. Louis, MO 63138

You may also fax the completed form to 314-801-9195

Thanks

Carl Urich

• Re: Seeking my grandfather's Army service and medical records
            Thomas Richardson Tracker

Dear Ms. Daly,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for those who served in the U.S. Armed Forces and who were separated from the service prior to 1958 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where Army personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Navy and Marine Corps OMPFs were not affected by the fire. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. You also may fax the form to 314-801-9195. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.

For Army, Marine Corps, and Navy personnel, NARA's National Personnel Records Center will verify the awards to which a veteran is entitled and forward the request with the verification to the appropriate service department for issuance of the medals.  For requesting medals and awards, please use eVetRecs on NARA’s website at https://www.archives.gov/veterans/evetrecs/ or complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and send it to NARA's Military Personnel Records, National Personnel Records Center, 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.  Provide as much information as possible in Section II under "other."

Due to the coronavirus public health emergency, the National Personnel Records Center is servicing only urgent requests related to homeless veterans, medical emergencies, and funerals which may be faxed to 314-801-0764.  We thank you for your patience and look forward to resuming normal operations when the public health emergency has ended.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!