7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 23, 2020 10:03 PM by bb hank Branched from an earlier discussion.

Seeking a death certificate for individual before 1936

bb hank Newbie

How about if that person died before 1936 (SS death index) or in this particular case, between 1890 and 1905? There seems to be some consistent error in the records on both Ancestry and Family Search websites where many death certificates are not correct. This person may have died in Kentucky or Ohio.

• Re: Seeking a death certificate for individual before 1936
          Alice Lane Tracker

Hi bb,

Not quite certain what you are seeking from History Hub. Please explain further, perhaps by giving a name and date of birth.

Thank you

Alice Lane

Volunteer Researcher.

bb hank Newbie

His name is Samuel Bonaparte January who was born in 1824 in Kentucky. He has a memorial stone at Cane Ridge in Bourbon County but is not buried there. I am looking for an actual Death Certificate and whatever else I can find. I found a Sam January in Ohio but cannot confirm if it is the same person. He is listed in various documents as being from Kentucky and his wife’s name is Nancy. Again, no death certificate. I have a cemetery record and picture from a source but there are no headstone(s). He is possibly a Civil War veteran, but I can't verify if it is the same Sam January.

Cara Jensen Scout

Dear BB Hank,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

Please contact the Kentucky Department for Libraries and Archives and/or the Archives & Library of the Ohio History Connection and request the death certificate of Samuel Bonaparte January.  Also, please review the FamilySearch Research wiki for Kentucky Vital Records and Ohio Vital Records.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

bb hank Newbie

These have all been contacted.

Even though the libraries are closed they did get back in contact to say that none of these have records predating 1908.  Neither Kentucky nor Ohio kept state death records before 1908 and 1911.

Local courthouse here had two fires - 1879 and 1901, destroying many records.

I have called Ancestry several times along with noting the errors they have on their website with these certificates and they haven't corrected the search errors.  When searching for death certificates for Samuel Bonaparte January as well as his wife, Nancy, the certificates attributed to them are actually for their sons, clearly showing them as parents.  This error is on Family Search as well.  They also have no clue and have not corrected the errors.  This has been for a period of years since first reported.  I have found many other death records on their systems with the same error.

I have been reporting these to them for at least 3 years, without result.  Called several times also, with same result.

I have found a person with the same first and last name in both states, one of whom is born in Kentucky the same year as the person being searched for but definitely is not the same person.  I find two Sam Januarys, each with wife named Nancy, one in each state.  Again can't find if they are the same person.  One in Bourbon County, Kentucky, the other in Hillsboro, Ohio.  Both give birth date as 1824 and have wife named Nancy.

Also found a grave certificate with the name Sam January and a grave location but the rest of the information on the document is not there.  It only has first and last name and plot number.  The cemetery curator sent me pictures of the site.  There are no headstones.  Nothing to show who's buried there.  Looks like there are multiple graves.  This was found through the Ohio Soldiers and Sailors Home.  Again the records only show first and last name.  Having the middle name the same would answer some of the issues.

What I have here is too many similarities to be different people BUT certain differences that say they are not.  Records show two Sam Januarys born in 1824, one in Maysville, KY and the other in Bourbon County KY.  One served in the Confederate Army and the other in the Union Army.  The Sam January in the Ohio and military records says several times he was born in KY but says Bracken County.  Found is another military record for a person who might have been a neighbor of the KY January who also gives Bracken County as his birthplace.  I show him also from the same place in Bourbon County, living on the same farm in 1870.

There is a lot of information but nothing yet that matches Sam January of Ohio to Samuel Bonaparte January of Kentucky.  Needed is that link.  That's the missing link.

Alice Lane Tracker

Hi again bb,

Thanks for the information.

Samuel is listed in the1880 census as Bone January. wife Nancie and children. Tom, Feby, Bettie...all of the family members born in Kentucky

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MCC9-F19

Alice Lane

Research Volunteer

Alice Lane Tracker

Hi bb,

I found a death certificatea for Sam and Nancy's sona David, James, and Washington

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:N9V4-53P

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:N96K-R6F

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NSJY-6HN ,

Sorry, did not find Samuels death certificate.

Alice Lane

bb hank Newbie

I have these already.   Part of the issue is when one searches for Nancy or Samuel Bonaparte January is that these death certificates come up, incorrectly, for them.  They are shown as parents on all three.  It is the same error as on Ancestry.  Have spoken on the phone as well as email with both organizations many times and they have never corrected this.

Looking for any, or all, of several things:

Death certificate for Samuel Bonaparte January, possibly died in 1900, possibly in Ohio or Kentucky.

Evidence that conclusively ties Sam January of Ohio to Samuel Bonaparte January of Kentucky - OR - that shows the Sams are not the same person.

Actual burial places of Samuel Bonaparte and Nancy January.

Any other pertinent information.