2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 1, 2020 8:38 AM by Holly Rivet

    Seeking SF180 & DD-214 from outside of United States


      Hello. My grandfather, Chester Warren Campbell, served in the Armed Forces around the period 1958-1970. I always have wanted to request his military records yet two problems usually arose. First of all, I am the grandson and thus not a direct next of kin. Now, I did figure out that from SF 180 can be used for me to request my grandfather's military service record. Second of all, I am currently living outside of the United States in the Netherlands. I am unsure whether or not I can send a SF 180 because it requires you to fill in an address within the United States to the archives and if I can receive a copy of my grandfather's DD-214 while in the Netherlands. Thank you in advance.

        • Re: Seeking SF180 & DD-214 from outside of United States
          Carl Urich Wayfarer

          You can submit a SF-180 from overseas, requests are received from overseas.


          On the SF-180, please ensure you provide as much information as possible (including the Branch of Service and Date of Birth).


          1 person found this helpful
          • Re: Seeking SF180 & DD-214 from outside of United States
            Holly Rivet Tracker

            Dear Mr. Campbell,


            Thank you for posting your request to History Hub!


            Yes, you may submit a request from outside the United States and items can be sent to you.  The process is the same as one submitting a request within the U.S. 



            We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs for those who served in the U.S. Armed Forces after 1958 and prior to 1999 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis.  In many cases where Army and Air Force personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Navy and Marine Corps OMPFs were not affected by the fire. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO 63138-1002. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. Certain information in the records is not available to the general public without the written consent of the veteran or his next of kin. For more information see Request Military Service Records.


            Due to the coronavirus public health emergency, National Archives research rooms and museums are closed to the public until further notice and the National Personnel Records Center is servicing only urgent requests related to homeless veterans, medical emergencies, and funerals.  We thank you for your patience and look forward to resuming normal operations when the public health emergency has ended.


            We hope this information is helpful.  Best of luck with your family research!



            Holly Rivet

            1 person found this helpful