3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 30, 2020 11:25 AM by Brandon McCarthy

Seeking award citations for Francis "Frank" Joseph McCarthy

Brandon McCarthy Newbie

My grandfather, Lt.Col. Frank J. McCarthy, USAF, died in 1997.  Several years ago I received a copy of his OMPF from the National Archives, and that included his DD-214, retirement paperwork, and some other administrative military records, but no award citations or mission information from when he was with the 467th Bombardment Group (Heavy) during WWII.  His U.S. Army Air Corps serial number was 0-396176, and I believe his U.S. Air Force serial number was 32861A.  I reached out to some historical societies that focused on the 467th BG(H), and they were able to produce some fairly detailed information on specific missions he flew and other previously confidential information that has since been de-classified, obviously.  However, I am still looking for his personal award citations, specifically his Distinguished Flying Cross and three Air Medals.  If anyone on here knows of an archive that would have such documents, I would be eternally grateful and appreciative.  I recently was able to find his Award Cards for these personal awards in the National Archives online, which is nice, but still no citations, no summaries of action.  I fear that they may be lost to history.  He was born 24 Nov 1917 in San Francisco.  He actually received his commission through the Army Coast Artillery in 1940, but transferred to the Air Corps as a pilot in 1941.  He retired from the Air Force 31 May 1961. He became "Mission Complete" 15 May 1997.  Air Medal w/2OLC, Award CardDFC