4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 6, 2020 3:47 PM by Em Morgan

    Seeking replacement of Purple Heart medal of Joseph Nicholson


      I need information on how to get a replacement Purple Heart medal awarded to my uncle, Joseph Edwin Nicholson, who was killed in Holland during WWII.

        • Re: Seeking replacement of Purple Heart medal of Joseph Nicholson
          Jason Atkinson Ranger

          Dear Mr. Brodski,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          For Army personnel, NARA's National Personnel Records Center will verify the awards to which a veteran is entitled and forward the request with the verification to the appropriate service department for issuance of the medals.  For requesting medals and awards, please use eVetRecs on NARA’s website at https://www.archives.gov/veterans/evetrecs/ or complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and send it to NARA's Military Personnel Records, National Personnel Records Center, 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.  Provide as much information as possible in Section II under "other."


          Due to the coronavirus public health emergency, the National Personnel Records Center is servicing only urgent requests related to homeless veterans, medical emergencies, and funerals which may be faxed to 314-801-0764.  We thank you for your patience and look forward to resuming normal operations when the public health emergency has ended.


          Also, the information you seek may be contained in his Individual Deceased Personnel File (IDPF). For the IDPFs from 1940-1976 of personnel with surnames that begin with M-Z,  please write to U.S. Army Human Resources Command, Casualty & Memorial Affairs Operations Division, ATTN: AHRC-PDC, 1600 Spearhead Division Avenue, Department 450, Fort Knox, KY 40122-5405.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!


          • Re: Seeking replacement of Purple Heart medal of Joseph Nicholson
            Elliot Schneider Pioneer



            I would suggest requesting a medal replacement from the NPRC in St. Louis. However they are currently only processing urgent medical and burial requests.




            Elliot Schneider

            • Re: Seeking replacement of Purple Heart medal of Joseph Nicholson
              joan stachnik Tracker

              Hi Joseph, this likely is something you already know, but there is a Joseph E. Nicholson  (ASN 32506768) buried at the American cemetery in Margraten, Netherlands.  He was a staff sergeant in the 175th Infantry Regiment, 29th Infantry Division (KIA November 16, 1944). According to the ABMC site, he also received a Silver Star (https://www.abmc.gov/decedent-search/nicholson%3Djoseph). If this is your family member, you might want to request his IDPF (or burial case file) from the Archives. Content of these files vary, but it might give you more information regarding his awards.  Sorry if this is duplicate information.  joan

              • Re: Seeking replacement of Purple Heart medal of Joseph Nicholson
                Em Morgan Newbie

                There is an organization, Purple Hearts Reunited, located in St. Albans, VT whose sole mission is to reunite Purple Heart (and other) medals with the recipients or family members.  Joseph Edwin Nicholson's name appears on their list of people for whom they have the medal.  Their website is:  purpleheartsreunited.org