2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 9, 2020 4:16 PM by Grace Yuhasz

    How can I view naturalization certificates by number?

    David Dorfman Newbie

      I wish to view naturalization certificates issued by the District Court in Brooklyn. New York for two certificate numbers on two different dates.  How do I do this?

        • Re: How can I view naturalization certificates by number?
          Cara Jensen Tracker

          Dear Mr. Dorfman,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          In most cases, the National Archives will not have a copy of the certificate of citizenship. Depending on the year of naturalization, there are different locations where a certificate may be available. 


          Standardization brought by the Naturalization Act of 1906 meant that two copies of the certificate were created – one given to the petitioner as proof of citizenship, and one forwarded to the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS).  The US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) Genealogy Program can provide access to the INS copy of the certificate. Providing the certificate number readily available will aid in that request.


          If the naturalization was completed in a Federal court, naturalization indexes, declarations of intention (with any accompanying certificates of arrival), and petitions for naturalization will usually be in the National Archives facility serving the state in which the Federal court is located.  In this case, we suggest you contact the  National Archives at New York (RE-NY) via email at newyork.archives@nara.gov.


          The Kings County Clerk maintains naturalization records for the years 1907 through 1924. These records include the following: certificate of arrival, declaration of intention and petitions.  A search of these records may be requested by mail or in person.  If this applies, we suggest you contact the Kings County Clerk Room 189, Record Room.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!


          [Some information provided by Elizabeth Burnes, Subject Matter Expert]


          • Re: How can I view naturalization certificates by number?
            Grace Yuhasz Adventurer

            If you are seeking records from 1865 to about 1958, I believe the records you are wanting are available online at www.FamilySearch.org.  (You may have to set up a free account to view them.)   They have records for the United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York.


            Click on a link below.  Then scroll to find the film with the number range you need and hit the camera icon on the right.  Go page by page (you can jump around, thankfully) to find the number you need--the pages are probably in numerical order, but no guarantees (I haven't looked at these particular groups to see).


            Note: Each record set has a different end date.


            For Declarations of Intention  1865-1941



            For Final Petition and Citizenship Papers  1865-1958



            If you need to find the number, you can search by name here:

            New York, Eastern District naturalization petitions, index, 1865-1957 



            Happy Hunting!