1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 29, 2020 8:11 AM by Jason Atkinson

Seeking father's leavenworth inmate records

Tia Mirocke Newbie

I'm trying to locate information on my father's inmate records when he was in Leavenworth in the early 1980s. I believe he was an inmate there from late 1980 or early 1981 until late 1982. I have been unable to find any records of him but I think it's more my fault than they don't exist.

• Re: Seeking father's leavenworth inmate records
          Jason Atkinson Pioneer

Dear Ms. Mirocke,

Thank you for posting your request to History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the Subject Files, ca. 1906 - 10/3/1989 in the Records of the Bureau of Prisons (Record Group 129) that include the records from the U.S. Penitentiary, Leavenworth during the early 1980s. This series does not include case files for each inmate, but may contain references to some of the inmates. For more information about these records, please email the National Archives at Kansas City (RM-KC) at kansascity.archives@nara.gov

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RM-KC. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

The Federal Bureau of Prisons has an inmate locator that dates from 1982 to the present. To obtain information for records prior to 1982, please submit a FOIA request to the Federal Bureau of Prisons. For further guidance, please refer to the BOP's FOIA website.

We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!