1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 29, 2020 1:11 PM by Jason Atkinson

    Seeking Civil War Pension records


      Hello, Do any of you know how to get Civil War Pension documents from the Dept. of Veterans Affairs? How much does it cost? The National Archives folks say that one of my ancestor's information is somewhere in the VA. Thanks.

        • Re: Seeking Civil War Pension records
          Jason Atkinson Ranger

          Dear Mr. Wilson,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

          The majority of Civil War pension files are in the custody of the National Archives in Washington, DC - Textual Reference (RDT1) in one of several record series in the Records of the Department of Veterans Affairs (Record Group 15).  There are also 3 record series in Record Group 15 at the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL) that include claims files relating to Civil War Veterans.  The records were transferred to the National Archives in 1952 and 1955. If you have not done so, please email both RDT1 at Archives1reference@nara.gov and RL-SL at stl.archives@nara.gov with full details about the file you are seeking.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT1 and RL-SL. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


          Civil War pension files should only be in the custody of the Department of Veterans Affairs if they were still active in 1955 when the inactive files were transferred to the National Archives.  If both RDT1 and RL-SL have already informed you that they do not have the file, please file a FOIA requested with the Department of Veterans Affairs.  Their FOIA website is https://www.va.gov/foia/.  All questions regarding VA’s FOIA procedures and fees may be emailed to VACOFOIAService@va.gov.


          We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!