1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 7, 2020 2:03 PM by Cara Jensen

Ordering certified copies of naturalization records

Paula Rubino Newbie

Hello, Is it possible to order certified copies of "declaration of intention" and "petition of naturalization" records through the National Archives of New York?  If so, may I order them online or else by mail?  I have copies of them obtained through the USCIS, but I need certified copies from NARA for my dual citizenship application with Italy. Many thanks!

• Re: Ordering certified copies of naturalization records
          Cara Jensen Scout

Dear Ms. Rubino,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

If your petition was filed in a Federal court, the National Archives at New York (RE-NY) should have a copy of both the declaration and petition within their holdings, We suggest you contact RE-NY via email at newyork.archives@nara.gov to request a certified copy of these records.

The Embassy of Italy in Washington, D.C., has advised the USCIS that applicants for dual citizenship are not required to provide certified copies of naturalization certificates obtained from USCIS.  Instead, you must present the photocopy of the naturalization certificate along with the USCIS Genealogy Program response letter and mailing envelope.

We hope this is helpful.