1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 2, 2020 11:11 AM by Jason Atkinson

    Finding my grandfather's military history

    Damian Ibison Newbie

      I recently discovered my father's birth father after many years searching.  His name was J B Crawford from Tennessee.  I know he joined up in November 1942, served in Air Services Europe during WWII, then re-enlisted in 1946 for 17 months, then joined the Navy in 1956 for nearly 4 years.  How can i find out more details?  Thanks

        • Re: Finding my grandfather's military history
          Jason Atkinson Ranger

          Dear Mr. Ibison,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and medical records of enlisted men and officers of the U.S. Navy who were separated from the service after 1958 and prior to January 31, 1994 are located at NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC), (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. To request these records, please mail a completed GSA Standard Form 180 to NPRC.  You also may fax the form to 314-801-9195. If there is any information you do not know, you may leave it blank or provide estimates, however the more information you provide, the easier it is for NPRC staff to locate the correct file. Certain information in the records is not available to the general public without the written consent of the veteran or his next of kin. For more information see Request Military Service Records


          While his OMPF from his US Army Air Force active duty and reserve service should have been added to his US Navy OMPF, to ensure that the NPRC staff know to look for both files, please attach a memo or letter to your request explaining his full service history as you have done here, and specifying that you want the full files for all of his terms of service. You may provide any additional information you have about your grandfather that may help locate his file. Please do not provide original copies of any family documents, as NPRC will not be able to return them to you.


          Due to the coronavirus public health emergency, the National Personnel Records Center is servicing only urgent requests related to homeless veterans, medical emergencies, and funerals which may be faxed to 314-801-0764.  We thank you for your patience and look forward to resuming normal operations when the public health emergency has ended.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!