3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 1, 2020 8:12 AM by Carl Urich

Seeking information about Bozzman BMC

ken brown Newbie

Hello, I'm researching a silver boatswain pipe (whistle) with the name Bozzman BMC (Chief Boatswain's Mate) engraved on the keel. The pipe is the type with a silver dragon design, circa 1900. I could use some help discovering the history of the sailor who owned it. Thank you

• Re: Seeking information about Bozzman BMC
          Jason Atkinson Pioneer

Dear Mr. Brown,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

The National Archives does not have records of assignment for individual pieces of equipment. Also, based on your description, this may have been a custom pipe that was purchased by an individual sailor or given to him as a gift, rather than an issued item.

For information about the service histories of individual sailors, you may request their Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and medical records of enlisted men of the U.S. Navy who were separated from the service after 1885 and prior to 1958 are located at NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC), (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.  To request these records, please mail a completed GSA Standard Form 180 to NPRC. Please fill out the form to the best of your knowledge.  If there are any fields you do not know, you may leave them blank or provide estimates.  However, the more information you provide, the easier it will be for NPRC staff to locate the correct file, especially if there were multiple sailors with that last name. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.

Due to the coronavirus public health emergency, the National Personnel Records Center is servicing only urgent requests related to homeless veterans, medical emergencies, and funerals which may be faxed to 314-801-0764.  We thank you for your patience and look forward to resuming normal operations when the public health emergency has ended.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

[Information provide in part by Nate Patch, Subject Matter Expert]

• Re: Seeking information about Bozzman BMC
            ken brown Newbie

Hello Jason,

Thank you for the reply. Yes I'm sure this is a custom silver bosun pipe and not assigned to sailor. These were

sold to sailors visiting Hong Kong when their ships pulled in to port. The inscription does have initials but the fancy script is hard to decipher.

Thank you for letting me know how to obtaining service records. I'll give it a try.

Very best,

Ken