2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 26, 2020 10:39 AM by Carl Urich

    Seeking my dad's Army discharge records


      How can I locate my dad's Army Discharge information? He and I have not been in contact since around 1968. I do not have his Social Security Number.

        • Re: Seeking my dad's Army discharge records
          Holly Rivet Tracker

          Dear Ms. Smith,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). Official Military Personnel Files (OMPFs) and individual medical reports for those who served in the U.S. Army after 1958 and prior to October 16, 1992 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis.  In many cases where Army and Air Force personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued.


          Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO 63138-1002. Include all the information you have. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. Certain information in the records is not available to the general public without the written consent of the veteran or his next of kin. For more information see Request Military Service Records.


          Due to the coronavirus public health emergency, the National Personnel Records Center is servicing only urgent requests related to homeless veterans, medical emergencies, and funerals.  We thank you for your patience and look forward to resuming normal operations when the public health emergency has ended.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!



          Holly Rivet

          1 person found this helpful
          • Re: Seeking my dad's Army discharge records
            Carl Urich Wayfarer

            When filling out the SF-180, it is important that you include the veteran's complete name, date of birth, and place of birth since you do not have the SSN.