1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 26, 2020 2:07 PM by Jason Atkinson

Seeking mother's Polio medical records

Jennifer Dill Newbie

I am trying to get more information about when my mother had polio and her treatment, etc. I believed it would have been in the late 1940's or early 1950's. I would like to see her medical records to better understand what treatment she had and how badly she had it.She lived in Bethesda, Maryland.

• Re: Seeking mother's Polio medical records
          Jason Atkinson Pioneer

Dear Ms. Dill,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

The National Archives does not have custody of the personal medical records of most individuals.  If she was a member of the armed services, a military dependent, or a federal employee, we may have some information depending on her exact status and the dates involved. If she falls under one of these categories, please provide us further details.

For the majority of Americans, to locate medical treatment records, you need to know the name of the hospital or doctor’s office that treated her, and then contact that organization or its successor to find out if they still have copies of the records. Please note that Maryland law only mandates a 5 year minimum retention period for individual patient records. Any retention of patient records beyond this time period would be entirely at the discretion of the hospital or doctor’s office.

We hope this information is helpful.