4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 2, 2020 4:45 PM by Alice Lane

Seeking French immigrants to Southern Illinois

J Purkaple Newbie

I'm looking for immigration or naturalization or French origins of Mr. and Mrs. Peter (Pierre?) Marshall/Marechal/Maréchal/Merichol/Martial/etc. as well as their first child.  The wife was Marie or Mary or Mary E. and they were both born in France and were married either in France or on the ship en route to the US.  Mr. P. Marshall was born about 1827/1828.  Nobody knows where in France they came from. Their daughter Lula/Lulu or Ida M. was born Oct. 1861 or 1862 or 1863 or 1864 or 1865, probably on board the ship but possibly beforehand in Europe.  That daughter's usual given D.O.B. was Oct. 12, 1863.  They went to settle in the area of Centralia, and Central City, in Marion County, Illinois, where they can be found living in the 1880 federal census.  That census lists the Marshall children still at home with their parents as having been born in Pennsylvania, but most records give the birthplace of those kids as Illinois.  It is possible they arrived at a port in or near Pennsylvania, as a result, but it is uncertain. The family patriarch was known locally as the French drummer of Central City. He died there in southern Illinois in 1894 in his sixties.  His widow Mrs. M.E. Marshall was killed by a train in an accident at the train station in May 1902, at Central City, IL. Their graves are unmarked and nothing else is known.

• Re: Seeking French immigrants to Southern Illinois
          Alice Lane Tracker

Hi J Purkaple,

Welcome to the Hub.

I found a Katherine Pierce on Ancestry.com, she has a family tree with Peter Marchal in it and also has 1829 Clermont, Puy-de-Dôme, Auvergne, France as his birth place

Birth

Pierre Marechal was born on March 9, 1829, in Puy-de-Dôme, France, to Louise Montagu, age 29, and Claude Marechal, age 24.

Ancestry is a pay site.

Alice Lane

Volunteer Researcher

1 person found this helpful
              J Purkaple Newbie

Thank you so much. I have been told, however, that Peter Marshall, even in the original French spelling variations, is the equivalent of John Smith over there -- that there's loads of them in France.  How can I know if this is my guy? This is 1829, which is close to 1827-1828, from records I have, but it's technically outside the range. Is there a marriage record for this guy, or record of his emigration out of France?

Sadly, apparently, Marion County (Illinois) did not keep or maintain any old naturalization petitions, and you're very lucky to find any naturalization papers there from the 1800s of any kind. Church records have not turned up anything either. Can't find them anywhere. Obituaries and death and marriage records and census records never say anything specific beyond just France. Their daughter Mary M. was a great-great-grandmother of mine, I descend from her only daughter. Mary's daughter was born of her first marriage, but I have seen a record of Mary's second marriage, to my Great-Grandma's stepfather. That record gives Mary's parents' names as Mary (Eartiedies) and Peter Marshall. I have never found anything about the surname Eartiedies after years of searching, and am forced to conclude that it was probably just an awful misspelling. Mary's brother George Marshall Sr. was married in Illinois also, and his marriage record lists his parents as Mary (Ordel) and Peter Marshall. Descendants of George Sr. have said in the past that his mother's maiden surname was Ordel or Ordell or Ordelle because of that marriage record. I have been unable to find any records about people with that surname from France either. Again I feel I must conclude that the name was terribly misspelled. But we know it's the same woman. Peter is sometimes incorrectly listed as George Peter, or George Peter Sr. because of his son George's death cert. There is nothing else to back this up and I can't bring myself to support that as having been Peter's actual full given name.

Rebecca Collier Ranger

Dear Mr. Purkaple,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

To locate the passenger manifest for the ship that brought them to the U.S., we suggest that you check all possible ports and use all known name variants, but also note that all passenger manifests still exist today. Please begin by reviewing NARA’s web pages on immigration records - listing by port.

For naturalization records prior to September 27, 1906, any "court of record" (municipal, county, state, or Federal) could grant United States citizenship. Often petitioners went to the court most geographically convenient for them. As a general rule, the National Archives does not have naturalization records created in state or local courts. However, a few indexes and records have been donated to the National Archives from counties, states, and local courts. Since they lived in Illinois, we suggest that you contact the National Archives at Chicago (RM-CH) via email at  chicago.archives@nara.gov to determine if records from lower courts in Illinois are available. Records from state and local courts may be at the Illinois State Archives or the Marion County Genealogical & Historical Society of Illinois.

Since Mrs. Marshall’s death involved a train, please check with RM-CH to see if there was a case relating to the train accident in Federal court records.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

2 people found this helpful