1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 26, 2020 9:33 AM by Jason Atkinson

Seeking record of birth abroad

Daniel Carroll Newbie

I was born in the country of Panama and my Father is a U.S. Citizen and former employee of the Panama Canal Commission. He had me registered with the U.S. Embassy and received an my U.S. Citizenship and Official U.S. Passport. I understand my records were sent to NARA. How do I request that?

• Re: Seeking record of birth abroad
          Jason Atkinson Pioneer

Dear Mr. Carroll,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

The Panama Canal Commission maintained the birth records of persons born in the Panama Canal Zone between February 26, 1904 and September 30, 1979.  In December 1999, the Commission transferred those records to the U.S. Department of State.  See the How to Request a Copy of a Panama Canal Zone Birth or Death Certificate for instructions on ordering these records.

Birth records for US citizens born outside of the Canal Zone or who were born in the former Canal Zone after September 30, 1979, when the territory was returned to the Republic of Panama, should be in the form of a Consular Report of Birth Abroad. The records are still in the custody of the U.S. Department of State. See How to Replace or Amend a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) for instructions on ordering these records.

Also, we searched the National Archives Catalog and located Records of Births, 1929 -1950 in the Records of the Panama Canal (Record Group 185) that includes birth records for US citizens born within the Panama Canal Zone through 1950. The records are in the custody of the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2). Please email RDT2 at Archives2reference@nara.gov for further information about these records.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We hope this information is helpful.