2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 30, 2020 5:43 PM by Elliot Schneider

    Seeking unit records between May 1953 & April 1955


      My father was in the Army between May 1953 and April 1955.  I've requested his records 3 times in the past and received a response that they were destroyed in the 1973 fire.  I just submitted another request and added a comment asking to get a reconstructed file.  In the meantime, I would like to find general information about his life in the army by accessing records pertaining to the time he was enlisted, such as muster rolls, letters regarding enlisted men's moves to other bases for various reasons, events that occurred, news and anything related to the time my dad was at each location.  I have several liberty passes that indicate he was in Company I, 130th Infantry Regiment at Ft Lewis, Washington in September 1953 and November 1953; Hq Battery 53rd Field Artillery Battalion at Ft Ord, California end of September and into October 1953; Hq & Hq Battery OCS 4050 Army Service Unit at Ft Sill, Oklahoma in January 1954; Company E 145th, 37th Infantry Division at Camp Polk, Louisiana in February 1954; and Company E 85th,  10th Division at Ft Riley, Kansas in June and September 1954.  Any help with finding the resource I need to tap would be most helpful and much appreciated!

        • Re: Seeking unit records between May 1953 & April 1955
          Rebecca Collier Ranger

          Dear Ms. Parisi,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the series Records of Various Army Regiments, 1941 - 1967 in the Records of U.S. Army Operational, Tactical, and Support Organizations (World War II and Thereafter) (Record Group 338) that may include records of the 130th, 145th & 85th Infantry Regiments. We also located Unit Histories, 1951 - 1958 in Record Group 338 that includes the 10th Infantry Division during the 1950s. In addition, we located Training Administrative Files, 1949 - 1960 in Record Group 338 that includes the file unit Training Site Facilities Fort Lewis, Washington 1953. Plus, we located 3 series of Organizational History Files in Record Group 338 that pertain to Fort Sill in 1954. Lastly, we located Records of Joint Field Exercises, 11/1953 - 12/31/1955 in the Records of Headquarters Army Ground Forces (Record Group 337) that include exercises held at Fort Polk in the 1950s.For access to these records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov.


          Copies of most of the monthly rosters from November 1912 - 1943 and 1947 - 1959 for Army units (including Army Air Corps) are in the custody of the National Archives at St. Louis, MO. For access to these records, please write to the National Archives at St. Louis, ATTN: RL-SL, P.O. Box 38757, St. Louis, MO 63138-0757 or via email at stl.archives@nara.gov.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2 & RL-SL. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


          We were unable to locate records of the 53rd Field Artillery Battalion for 1953, the 4050th Army Service Unit for 1954, the 37th Infantry Division for 1954, and Fort Ord for 1953. We were unable to locate specific records of either Batteries or Companies.  Records of lower echelon units sometimes were incorporated into the files of the battalion or regiment.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!


          1 person found this helpful
          • Re: Seeking unit records between May 1953 & April 1955
            Elliot Schneider Ranger



            Have you tried contacting the State Veterans Office were your dad lived when he entered service or residence after the Korean War.


            I would contact them many soilders recorded their discharge papers with the County recorders office were they lived. Most times this was done for benefits, stipends, and other items. This is were contacting the local County Veterans Service Office and maybe they can assist. Some county offices have paperwork to fill out for next of kin.


            Hope this gives you another avenue to utilize.





            Elliot Schneider