1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 9, 2020 8:38 AM by Jason Atkinson

    Seeking Mama's benefits


      Found some of daddy's records and I need to know when Mama and he got married. His name is Louis Andrew Bell, Jr (ASN 34 685 254). He served in the Army from January 16, 1943 to  August 17, 1943. He was born in Atlanta, Georgia on January 13, 1923.  It came from St. Louis 4/25/18. I want to know Mama's benefits.

        • Re: Seeking Mama's benefits
          Jason Atkinson Ranger

          Dear Ms. Bell-Avery,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          If you do not already have a copy of your father’s discharge papers, we suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and prior to 1958 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


          Due to the coronavirus public health emergency, the National Personnel Records Center is servicing only urgent requests related to homeless veterans, medical emergencies, and funerals which may be faxed to 314-801-0764.  We thank you for your patience and look forward to resuming normal operations when the public health emergency has ended.


          The National Archives and Records Administration does not have the authority to determine or grant survivor benefits to the widows or families of veterans.  To obtain assistance or the information you seek, we suggest that you contact the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs Veterans Benefits Administration via their website at https://benefits.va.gov/benefits/ or by calling 1-800-827-1000.


          The Federal Government does not ordinarily create or maintain birth, death, marriage or divorce records.  Such records are made and kept by State and local governments rather than the National Archives. Please contact the state where they were married. See Where to Write for Vital Records for a listing of state points of contact for marriage records.


          We hope this information is helpful.