1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 23, 2020 1:12 PM by Holly Rivet

    Seeking grandfather's Marine Corps records


      My grandfather was part of the Marine Corps and fought in WWII. My father and I have alway wanted to see his military records and any information on the places he was deployed. My question is do I want to request a OMPF or a report of separation? Main reason for this is to see more about his military background than he told us when he was alive. Not even sure if those two documents are completely different or not, just a tad confusing for me. Thank you for any help in advance!

        • Re: Seeking grandfather's Marine Corps records
          Holly Rivet Tracker

          Dear Mr. Marengo,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and medical records of officers and enlisted personnel of the U.S. Marine Corps who were separated from service after 1904 and prior to 1958 are located at NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC), (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. To request these records, please mail a completed GSA Standard Form 180 to NPRC. Veterans and their next of kin can also use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. These records contain enlistment/separation, letters of correspondence, duty stations, training received, fitness tests, and other related material. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests


          Due to the coronavirus public health emergency, the National Personnel Records Center is servicing only urgent requests related to homeless veterans, medical emergencies, and funerals which may be faxed to 314-801-0764.  We thank you for your patience and look forward to resuming normal operations when the public health emergency has ended.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!



          Holly Rivet

          1 person found this helpful