1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 30, 2020 9:39 AM by Rebecca Collier

    Seeking G.I. bill (or Serviceman's Readjustment Act) loan records


      Where can I access information on loans given via the Serviceman's Readjustment Act? I'm specifically looking for records of my grandfathers' loans.

        • Re: Seeking G.I. bill (or Serviceman's Readjustment Act) loan records
          Rebecca Collier Ranger

          Dear Ms. Patterson,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          We searched the National Archives Catalog and located Program Files, 1953 - 1981 in the  Records of the Department of Veterans Affairs (Record Group 15) includes information about loans but not about individual loans. For more information about these records, please contact the National Archives at Washington, DC - Textual Reference (RDT1) via email at archives1reference@nara.gov.


          Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT1. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.


          Information about your grandfather’s loans still may be in the custody of the Department of Veterans Affairs. Please contact the VA for the records you seek.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

          1 person found this helpful