5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 23, 2020 1:02 PM by Rich Gough

Need WWII Merchant Marine verification

Rich Gough Newbie

I am trying to substantiate the Merchant Marine qualification of an Ira O Grovenger, 1919 - 2008 so his unclaimed cremains can be interred in a State Veterans Cemetery.  Records show him signed on to the Liberty Ship USS William L Watson from at least April 23, 1945 to June 5, 1945 as a crew member.  He was born in Plainfield, NJ and died in Keansburg, NJ.  How do I go about getting proof of Merchant Marine service?

• Re: Need WWII Merchant Marine verification
          Alice Lane Tracker

Hi Rich,

My recommendation is that you got to the following website in the National Archives to get the answer to your questions.https://www.archives.gov/news/articles/merchant-marine-records-document-maritime-service

Best Wishes,

Alice Lane

Volunteer Researcher

Rich Gough Newbie

That's where I started and where I got confused as to finding an application of sorts.  If I reread it correctly I need to put in my request via email?

Alice Lane Tracker

Hi again Rich,

Sorry that you are having so many problems with this.

I believe that if you go to the following site you will be able to get answers to your questions.   https://www.va.gov/records/get-military-service-records/

I noticed on the crew lists that his age is stated as 25 on one and 34 on another, they have his birth date as 1911, 1919, and 1920.     You should mention that in any correspondence that you send.

If you have his birth certificate, drivers license and etc they would help. Send copies of everything that you have. Flood them with information,

Best Wishes

Alice Lane

Volunteer Researcher

Holly Rivet Tracker

Dear Mr. Gough,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

The Merchant Marine Personnel and Licensing Records dated prior to 1968 in the Records of the U.S. Coast Guard (Record Group 26) are in the custody of the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL). Please contact RL-SL via email at stl.archives@nara.gov. Include the name, date of birth, dates of service, "Z" number, and date of death, if known, in your request. The National Archives at St. Louis does not provide information for benefits or separation documents, such as DD-214s, for these records. To determine eligibility for a Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, DD Form 214, or a Report of Casualty, DD Form 1300, customers will be directed to to NMC’s website . RL-SL also will refer requests to the NMC on a customer's behalf.

When you make your request, please include the same information you have provided to us in order for RL-SL to locate the correct records.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RL-SL. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

Sincerely,

Holly Rivet