2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 28, 2020 7:29 PM by Harry Tong

Seeking WWI medical medal list

Harry Tong Newbie

My Mom's aunt was attending Rush Medical College in Chicago during WWI. According to my Mom, her aunt told her that she went to Europe as medical staff and received a medal for that. I checked with Rush University Library and they confirmed that during World War I, Rush Medical College's teaching hospital, Presbyterian Hospital, administered Base Hospital #13 in Limoges, France, where they cared for wounded patients. Presbyterian Hospital's medical and nursing staff staffed the base hospital. The team was also composed of recent nursing school graduates or recent Rush Medical College alumni. Some Rush Medical College students took time off from school to join the war. Where can I find a list of WWI medal receivers? From this website https://history.army.mil/documents/wwi/23awd.htm , there were 149 medals awarded to medical dept. Where can I find the list of those 149 medal receivers?

• Re: Seeking WWI medical medal list
          Rebecca Collier Ranger

Dear Mr. Tong,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the Special Orders Relating to Personnel of the Medical Department, 1917 - 1919 in the Records of the American Expeditionary Forces (World War I) (Record Group 120) that may include the citations for the Distinguished Service Medal. We also located the Historical Reports of General Hospitals, 5/1/1917 - 5/31/1920 in the Records of the Office of the Surgeon General (Army) (Record Group 112) for general and special orders.of medical personnel. Unfortunately, we are unable to physically check these series for you. For access eventually to these records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

1 person found this helpful