3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 18, 2020 4:10 PM by Thomas Richardson

Seeking information about William Joseph Lamotte

Sydney Perras Newbie

{PIC IS FROM RECENTLY, NOT MILITARY RELATED}

William Joseph Lamotte  D.O.B: August 23rd 1934

I have spent the past few years researching, "interviewing", reaching out to and/or you name it, I've probably tried to use this, that and all other methods of gathering/learning any and all info and more i can on My Family Tree, Heritage, all related. Not only do I genuinely enjoy doing this and find it so exciting, but i have been trying to put together something to pass along to my Children as well. I recently did a DNA Kit through Ancestry and that has given me some new-ish info and/or potential family matches which is great, BUT the part (or shall i say side) of my Family i have the most difficulties with is my Dad's side- for a couple reasons, 1] we are not close unfortunately and 2) it's very hard to get a lot of the information I am mainly looking for at this time. My Grandfather had, from what I've been told by both my Dad and others, Exceptional Military History, **I  APOLOGIZE FOR MY TERMINOLOGY- i was trying to word it correctly :/ in other words, his time in the Military was something not only him and our family should be proud of, but something i have dedicated quite a bit of time to learning more about, unfortunately with not much success.

**BELOW IS ANY/ALL INFO I CURRENTLY HAVE RE: MY GRANDFATHER & HIS TIME IN AIR FORCE/KOREAN WAR**

This is what my Dad could provide me for what he knows. My Grandfather, William Joseph Lamotte (now Senior as my Dad is Junior) D.O.B: August 23rd 1934. Lived in NH as well as VT years back and as a child, I believe. My Grandfather served in the Air Force during the Korean War. He received a Purple Heart after a Bayonet Injury, he was a POW, also received Silver Star. and, my Dad wasn't sure if he had correct terminology, Korean Presidential Medal for saving/helping a fellow soldier. My Grandfather live in NH but he also lived in VT years ago. I'm looking for any Information, Photos, Friends and/or Fellow Soldiers who served with him, Stories, anything would be AMAZING & OF COURSE APPRECIATED!

• Re: Seeking information about William Joseph Lamotte
          Alice Lane Tracker

Hi  Sydney,

I found this on familysearch.org..........it is a free website......you just need to register to search.

Residency record for William J Lamotte

Name:Wm Lamotte
          Alias:William J Lamotte
          Second Alias:William Lamotte
          Event Type:Residence
          Event Date:1 Jan 1999
          Event Place:Orlando, Orange, Florida, United States
          Event Place (Original):Orlando, Florida, United States
          Previous Residence:Orlando, Florida 32807
          Previous Residence Postal Code:32807
          Birth Date:23 Aug 1934
          Second Previous Residence Place:Manchester, New Hampshire 03104
          Third Previous Residence Place:Manchester, New Hampshire 03101
          2nd Address Date:1 May 1996
          3rd Address Date:01 Feb 1993-01 Jan 2004

Have not found anything else so far. Do you happen to know when or where he was buried.

Best Wishes

Alice Lane

Volunteer Researcher

Sydney Perras Newbie

Thank you very much. I'm sorry if I didn't note in my original post, my Grandfather is still alive- i did in fact have a sit down and "interview/Q&A" a year or 2 ago but his health has declined in the recent year or so and it's difficult. The info in my post is from my Dad. I'm looking for any info and/or records etc from his time in The Korean War. As well as how to obtain copies of his medals/awards and anything like that. Thank you again for your help and info. Hope all is well. ~Sydney

Thomas Richardson Tracker

Dear Mr. Perras,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for those who served in the U.S. Air Force who were separated from the service after 1946 and prior to 1958 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.  You also may fax the form to 314-801-9195 OR view the record by visiting the NPRC Archival Research Room in St. Louis, MO. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.

Due to the coronavirus public health emergency, the National Personnel Records Center is servicing only urgent requests related to homeless veterans, medical emergencies, and funerals. Once operations resume requests will be filled in the order in which they were received.  We apologize for any inconvenience.  We thank you for your patience and look forward to resuming normal operations when the public health emergency has ended.

We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!