3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 18, 2020 10:41 AM by Jason Atkinson

Seeking listing of Confederate Prisoners of War or War Dead

Robert Browne Newbie

Is there a searchable database of Confederate Prisoners of War or War Dead? My great grandfather (Hubbard Brown) was reported as missing on a October 1864 muster roll. This was at or near the Battle of Cedar Creek in Virginia. I've looked for him but don't know how he died. I just know that his widow remarried a few years after the war.

• Re: Seeking listing of Confederate Prisoners of War or War Dead
          Alice Lane Tracker

Hi Robert,

Just want to make sure that I am looking for the correct person. Was his widow Flora Ann Tatum Brown?

Thanks

Alice Lane

Volunteer Researcher

• Re: Seeking listing of Confederate Prisoners of War or War Dead
            Jason Atkinson Pioneer

Dear Mr. Browne,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

The National Archives has multiple series related to Confederates who were captured or killed.  Please see our response to a previous question about Records of captured and dead Confederate soldiers for an overview of some of the relevant record series as well as links to online resources.  For more information, please contact the National Archives at Washington, DC - Textual Reference (RDT1) at Archives1reference@nara.gov.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT1. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

There also may be relevant records at the state archives of whichever state sponsored his unit.

Please note that because of the circumstances of the war, not all soldiers are accounted for. Many remains were never recovered and many recovered remains were never identified. Also, not all Confederate records were acquired by the federal government.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!