2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 16, 2020 1:20 PM by Thomas Richardson

    Seeking grandfather's Cavalry regiment


      How can I find out what Cavalry regiment my grandfather was in? He joined the US Calvary sometime around 1924-1929 probably in Texas. I would love to find a copy of a photograph my family used to have framed  in our living room of his regiment on horses.

        • Re: Seeking grandfather's Cavalry regiment
          Elliot Schneider Ranger



          Do you have any additional information pertaining to your grandfather Name, DOB, place of birth. Its possible he was also with the State Gaurd as well. I have a Cavalry picture of my great- grandfather on a horses. Found out he was with the State Gaurd Cavalry Unit.





          Elliot Schneider

          • Re: Seeking grandfather's Cavalry regiment
            Thomas Richardson Navigator

            Dear Ms. Luce,


            Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


            We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for those who served in the U.S. Army and who were separated from the service prior to 1958 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where Army personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. You also may fax the form to 314-801-9195. Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests. Please provide as much information as possible about the veteran, including name, date of birth, place of birth, service branch, service number, and dates of service. This will assist the technicians in locating the correct OMPF. 


            Due to the coronavirus public health emergency, the National Personnel Records Center is servicing only urgent requests related to homeless veterans, medical emergencies, and funerals which may be faxed to 314-801-0764.  We thank you for your patience and look forward to resuming normal operations when the public health emergency has ended.


            Once you know the specific cavalry regiment he served in, please post that information on History Hub. A photograph of his unit may be in the unit records.


            We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!