1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 26, 2020 11:16 AM by Sylvia Naylor

Seeking family of The Gremlins Roost  B-24 crew

David malcolm Newbie

Hi! I am trying to trace any family members from the Gremlins Roost B-24 lost feb 6 1945 over Holland. The crew members were Howard E Jennings, Ralph F Sanderson, W E Schoepheester, Kenneth E Massa, Arthur E Humphreys, Vance K Jeffers, Alfred Midgley Jr, Martin H Rubin, Adrian N Tatum and Saul Maximillian Furtzaig.

I know Humphreys and Jeffers were KIA in 1945. Ralph passed in 1989. I am in touch with his family. My mom wrote to his wife from 1945 until about 2006-2007. Many thanks

• Re: Seeking family of The Gremlins Roost  B-24 crew
          Sylvia Naylor Adventurer

Dear Mr. Malcolm,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

Since the Missing Air Crew Reports (MACRs) usually list the next of kin of the crew members, we searched the National Archives Catalog and located the series titled “Missing Air Crew Reports (MACRs), 1942-1947” in the Records of the Office of the Quartermaster General (Record Group 92) that includes MACR number 12355 for the crew you are interested in.  It has been digitized and may be viewed using the Catalog. Page 19 of the report lists the next of kin of the crew members. 

Also, the National Archives does not have the current or present addresses of former service personnel or their survivors on file.  The Federal agency most likely to have such addresses is the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). The VA can forward a message from you to the veteran, providing the veteran has filed a claim with VA, and they have an address on record. To forward a message, please write your message and place it in an unsealed, stamped envelope. Also include a note to the VA explaining who it is you are trying to reach and add as much identifying information as you have. Place all of this in another envelope addressed to the nearest Veterans Affairs Regional Office (locate the address at https://www.va.gov/directory/guide/home.asp) and mail it. If the veteran is in their records, your message to the veteran will be sealed and the envelope addressed to the address they have on file for the veteran. Please note that the veteran may not have informed the VA of a change of address, so they cannot guarantee receipt of your message. If the veteran receives your note, it is then up to the veteran to contact you.

We hope this information is helpful.  Best of luck with your research!