2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 23, 2020 7:42 AM by Rebecca Collier

    Seeking marriage license of Margaret Powers


      I'm trying to find the marriage license of Margaret Elizabeth Gray Powers. She was a nurse in Australia and was there in August 1943.

        • Re: Seeking marriage license of Margaret Powers
          J. Andrew Tracker

          Was she an Australian citizen, or was she a non-Australian visiting Australia?  Was she a civilian nurse, or a military nurse?  If civilian, which organization employed her? If that organization is still around (such as the Red Cross) they may have personnel file for her.  If military, which nation (Australia, US, UK, etc) and which branch of service (Army, Navy, etc)?

          Ancestry and other genealogy sites have various of searchable marriage indexes available to subscribers. However, as these are all very common names, you need additional information such as a date of birth and location of the marriage to help narrow down the search results.

          If there marriage took place in Australia under Australian law, see here for information about locating Australian marriage certificates:  https://www.nla.gov.au/research-guides/australian-birth-death-and-marriage-records

          • Re: Seeking marriage license of Margaret Powers
            Rebecca Collier Guide

            Dear Ms. Montgomery,


            Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


            If she was an American Army or Navy nurse, we suggest that you request a copy of her Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for those who served in the U.S. Armed Forces and who were separated from the service prior to 1958 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where Army and Army Air Corps personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Navy and Marine Corps OMPFs were not affected by the fire. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. You also may fax the form to 314-801-9195. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


            Due to the coronavirus public health emergency, the National Personnel Records Center is servicing only urgent requests related to homeless veterans, medical emergencies, and funerals. Once operations resume requests will be filled in the order in which they were received.  We apologize for any inconvenience.  We thank you for your patience and look forward to resuming normal operations when the public health emergency has ended.


            If she was a nurse in the Australian Armed Forces, we suggest you contact the National Archives of Australia, P.O. Box 7425, Canberra Business Centre, ACT 2610, Australia for any personnel records. The web site is https://www.naa.gov.au/ and the email address for reference inquiries is ref@naa.gov.au.


            Regardless who conducted the marriage ceremony, if it was held in Australia, the registration of marriages and provision of certificates is the responsibility of the state and territory governments in Australia.


            We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

            1 person found this helpful