1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 19, 2020 11:19 AM by Sylvia Naylor

Seeking Jagdgeschwader 53 mission records

George Waldroup Wayfarer

I am looking for guidance to locate the mission records/action reports for German Luftwaffe fighter group Jagdgescheader 53 (JG 53) in Italy on 27 November 1943.   I am researching JG-53 for its activities on that date when it shot down two B-17s of the 97th Bomb Group near Rimini, Italy one in which the pilot was my father. Not knowing where such archives are maintained, I am seeking any assistance or recommendations to continue my research.

• Re: Seeking Jagdgeschwader 53 mission records
          Sylvia Naylor Adventurer

Dear Mr. Waldroup,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

The National Archives at College Park, MD has in its custody the Records of Headquarters, German Air Force High Command (Oberkommando der Luftwaffe/OKL) located on Microfilm Publication T321 in the National Archives Collection of Foreign Records Seized (Record Group 242). This microfilm publication contains high level records and most likely does not contain mission reports. There are finding aids to this microfilm publication that may be viewed online by following these steps: (1) go to www.archives.gov; (2) click “Research Our Records;” (3) click “Microfilm Catalog;” (4) in the first search box (Search by Microfilm Publication Number or Keyword) enter the microfilm publication number (e.g. T321) in the search box and click “search;” (5) click the hyperlinked title of the publication; (6) click “View Important Publication Details” (an Adobe PDF document will open).

Due to the coronavirus public health emergency, NARA’s research facilities are closed to the public until further notice. When NARA reopens the research rooms, these microfilmed records may be viewed free of charge in the Microfilm Reading Room (Room 4050) at the National Archives at College Park, MD. 

We suggest contacting the German Bundesarchiv as they may have the mission reports you are seeking. 

We hope this information is helpful.  Best of luck with your research!