1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 23, 2020 1:12 PM by Cara Jensen

    Need certified copy of grandfather's Naturalization papers

    Diane Rivera Newbie

      Dear Friends, I need a certified copy of my Grandfather's Naturalization papers dated Oct 11 1955 to include with my request for Dual Citizenship for Italy. I received a copy of the naturalization papers from the genealogy department because I sent my money and my request to the wrong department. I need a certified copy. I need to know the department where I can get this so I can pay for a certified copy. Thank you

        • Re: Need certified copy of grandfather's Naturalization papers
          Cara Jensen Tracker

          Dear Ms. Rivera,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          Since your request was completed through the USCIS Genealogy Program, the record received was a Certificate File (C-File). Per USCIS, the Genealogy Program cannot provide certified copies, a record request can provide a photocopy of a naturalization record only. The National Archives cannot certify records that are not in our custody. 


          The Embassy of Italy in Washington, D.C., has advised the USCIS that applicants for dual citizenship are not required to provide certified copies of naturalization certificates obtained from USCIS.  Instead, you must present the photocopy of the naturalization certificate along with the USCIS Genealogy Program response letter and mailing envelope.


          We hope this is helpful.

          [Information provided by Elizabeth Burnes, Subject Matter Expert]


          1 person found this helpful