1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 17, 2020 10:27 AM by Jason Atkinson

Seeking records of 444th Ordnance Ammunition Company

Darryl Andrews Newbie

Does anyone have any information or know where I can find info on the 444th Ordnance Ammunition Company, especially during the Korean War? I've searched the internet and can find nothing about that organization. From the attached discharge record I assume that it was part of the 5th Armored Division. I'm more familiar with WWII discharge records. This document shows that he had 5 months, 25 days of foreign service but I don't know where. He did have a "Japan Logistical Command" patch with some of his service belongings. Can anyone give me any insights from this discharge record?

Korean War - Discharge

• Re: Seeking records of 444th Ordnance Ammunition Company
          Jason Atkinson Pioneer

Dear Mr. Andrews,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

During the 1950s, the 5th Armored Division operated a training center at Camp Chaffee, Arkansas.  The unit did not deploy overseas and was primarily tasked with preparing other units for deployment. Based on the discharge document you shared. The 5th also may have been tasked with demobilization of units or individuals returning from overseas.  See U.S. Army Mobilization During the Korean War and Its Aftermath. According to the article “Mixed Records, Gray Hair, Confusion Result from Helflin’s 444th in Japan,” published in The Cleburne News on  25 October 1951, the 444th Ordnance Ammunition Company was an organized reserve unit from Helfin, Alabama, and portions of the unit were called to active duty on 14 August 1950. The article states that some persons from other states were also incorporated into the unit. At the time of the article, they were stationed in Camp Loeper in the Japan Logistical Command’s Northern Command. According to Department of the Army General Order 39, 9 June 155, page 15, the 444th Ordnance Ammunition Company was eligible for the Korean War Service Medal and United Nations Service Medal for 4 February 1951 through 14 November 1951 and the Japan Logistical Command was eligible for 25 August 1950 through 30 September 1952.

We searched the National Archives Catalog, however we were unable to locate any records pertaining to the 444th Ordnance Ammunition Company. There may be records relating to the unt in the records of the Japan Logistical Command. We located 28 record series in the Records of General Headquarters, Far East Command, Supreme Commander Allied Powers, and United Nations Command (Record Group 554) that were created by the Japan Logistical Command during the 1950s.

We also located a  series titled Command Reports, 1949 - 1954 in the Records of the Adjutant General's Office, 1917-1981 (Record Group 407) that includes command reports of the Japan Logistical Command. In addition, we located Unit Histories, 1943 - 1967 in the Records of U.S. Army Operational, Tactical, and Support Organizations (World War II and Thereafter) ( Record Group 338) that includes historical reports of the Japan Logistical Command.  Finally, we located Organizational History Files, 1959 - 1973, documenting 1931 - 1973 in the Records of the U.S. Army, Pacific (Record Group 550) that includes records of the Japan Logistical Command.

For more information about all the series listed above, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at Archives2reference@nara.gov.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

1 person found this helpful