2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 22, 2020 11:41 AM by Joseph Armstrong

    Seeking photograph of father when he joined US Navy


      How can I obtain photos of my father upon his entry into the U.S. Navy in April of 1944? He did his basic training at Great Lakes Naval Base (Illinois).

        • Re: Seeking photograph of father when he joined US Navy
          Jason Atkinson Ranger

          Dear Ms. Cunningham,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          The "official" photograph of an individual is not considered to be permanent federal records by the respective military services and is not retained in a separate collection by the service. If the photograph you are seeking still exists, it will most likely be found in the individual's Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). However, there is no guarantee the photograph will be present.


          OMPFs and medical records of enlisted men of the U.S. Navy who were separated from the service after 1885 and prior to 1958 are located at NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC), (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.  To request a copy of these records, please mail a completed GSA Standard Form 180 to NPRC. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


          Due to the coronavirus public health emergency, the National Personnel Records Center is servicing only urgent requests related to homeless veterans, medical emergencies, and funerals which may be faxed to 314-801-0764.  We thank you for your patience and look forward to resuming normal operations when the public health emergency has ended.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!


          • Re: Seeking photograph of father when he joined US Navy


            If you don’t mind the photo being a few years older, you may wish to check for a Cruise Book. You will need to know his ship or ships he served on.