2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 12, 2020 8:34 AM by Holly Rivet

    Seeking grandfather's Military Service/Discharge Number


      I am trying to find my Grandfather's Discharge Number. He fought in World War II and I need his Service/Discharge Number to fill out a form to obtain his Military Records. My family and I are wanting to know where he served in Germany. I hope someone can help direct me to either a site or someone to call.

        • Re: Seeking grandfather's Military Service/Discharge Number
          Elliot Schneider Ranger



          You have any additional information on your grandfather like a name, DOB, and where he lived?





          Elliot Schneider

          • Re: Seeking grandfather's Military Service/Discharge Number
            Holly Rivet Tracker

            Dear Ms. Foote,


            Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


            If he enlisted in the U.S. Army or U.S. Army Air Corps, we suggest you begin your search using the Access to Archival Databases (AAD).  The series "Electronic Army Serial Number Merged File, ca. 1938-1946" contains biographical information captured during the enlistments for regular and reserve service men and women during this time period.  You may access this database by following this link.  Begin by searching his first and last name only by typing it into the search bar near the top of the webpage.  You will find a date of enlistment, type of work he was doing at the time of enlistment, his service number, and more.  If he was drafted into the military, his enlistment record will not be found here.


            We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs for those who served in the U.S. Armed Forces and who were separated from the service prior to 1958 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. These records are organized based on the date of separation from service, this date is crucial if you are unable to obtain his service number.  In many cases where Army and Army Air Corps personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Navy and Marine Corps OMPFs were not affected by the fire. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO 63138-1002. You can also fax the form to 314-801-9195. Veterans and their next of kin can also use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


            Due to the coronavirus public health emergency, the National Personnel Records Center is servicing only urgent requests related to homeless veterans, medical emergencies, and funerals which may be faxed to 314-801-0764.  We thank you for your patience and look forward to resuming normal operations when the public health emergency has ended.


            We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!



            Holly Rivet

            1 person found this helpful