2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 19, 2020 3:09 PM by Cara Jensen

Seeking list of Negro farmers in 1880 Census Non-Population Schedule

Rodney Hilton Newbie

I am looking for a list of Negro farmers in the subject schedule, township and county using the 1880 Census Non-Population Schedules for Friendship, Clarendon County, South Carolina.

• Re: Seeking list of Negro farmers in 1880 Census Non-Population Schedule
          Lahnice Hollister Newbie

I am not actively researching at NARA. I actively research African Americans in SC. While it isn't impossible that such a list exists, it is not likely unless say someone was highly motivated to create one. As part of the population census, blacks were enumerated and their occupations identified.  One can manually cross check each black farmer to the agricultural schedule. Possibly some information made it into a census report: Here is the link to the final reports https://www.census.gov/prod/www/decennial.html.   You can check the SC archives and Clarendon County library or historical society to see if someone has done this work.  Also, South Carolinian library for scholarly works and dissertations.  I have not researched Clarendon county SC. However, from other larger rural counties where I have researched I would say that in 1880 because of the political and economic climate in SC,  there would be only a few black farmers - defined as one farming his or her OWN land vs a farm laborer and/or sharecropper. I could be wrong but that is my best thoughts.

1 person found this helpful
          • Re: Seeking list of Negro farmers in 1880 Census Non-Population Schedule
            Cara Jensen Adventurer

Dear Mr. Hilton,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the Population Schedules for the 1880 Census (T9) in the Records of the Bureau of the Census (Record Group 29) but the schedules for Clarendon County, South Carolina have not been digitized. For access to the non-digitized records, please contact the National Archives at Washington, DC - Textual Reference (RDT1) via email at archives1reference@nara.gov.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT1. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

T9 has been digitized by Ancestry. In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, the National Archives has partnered with Ancestry to make the vast majority of their NARA-digitized holdings freely available to the public. Anyone with Internet access may create an account, access NARA records, and use other Ancestry resources, such as their educational offerings and family tree-maker application. For more information see Ancestry’s announcement -- “Free At-Home Education Resources From Ancestry® and Access to Nearly 500M National Archives Records”.

The U.S. Census Bureau has various publications for the 1880 Census that may be of interest.

You may wish to contact the South Carolina Department of Archives and History for access to the 1880 Agricultural rolls for Clarendon County, South Carolina.  This unindexed resource lists the name of farmer, size of ranch or farm, value of property, crop, livestock, and more. 

Also, please review the FamilySearch Research wiki for Clarendon County South Carolina genealogy.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!