1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 12, 2020 2:27 PM by Jason Atkinson

    Seeking records of USS Puffer (SS-268) & USS Ray (SS-271)


      I'm trying to locate records that verify that my father (Caramello N. Stramer with Service Number 3127114) served aboard the USS Puffer (SS-268) and USS Ray (SS-271) during the period of 1943-1945. What records are there to confirm his service? He submitted SF-180 Request Pertaining to Military Records on Feb 19, 2016 and never received a reply. He entered the Navy on February 22, 1942 and was discharged on Dec 22, 1945. He is still alive, but in poor health at this time. As his oldest son, I am trying to follow-up on his request for records. I gratefully appreciate any and all help you may be able to provide..

        • Re: Seeking records of USS Puffer (SS-268) & USS Ray (SS-271)
          Jason Atkinson Ranger

          Dear Mr. Stramer,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

          We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the Muster Rolls of U.S. Navy Ships, Stations, and Other Naval Activities, 1/1/1939 - 1/1/1949 in the Records of the Bureau of Naval Personnel (Record Group 24) that include the muster rolls of the USS Puffer and the USS Ray. We were unable to locate his name on the muster rolls for these submarines.  We located a Caramello Stramer (Service Number 312 71 14) listed on the muster rolls of the USS Dover (IX-30) that recorded he was received by the ship on 17 August 1943 and transferred from the ship on 14 September 1943. We were unable to locate him on other muster rolls before or after this assignment.


          These muster rolls are now available in digital form and may be viewed online via Ancestry.com as the Data Collection U.S. World War II Navy Muster Rolls, 1938-1949. In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, the National Archives has partnered with Ancestry to make the vast majority of their NARA-digitized holdings freely available to the public. Anyone with Internet access may create an account, access NARA records, and use other Ancestry resources, such as their educational offerings and family tree-maker application. For more information see Ancestry’s announcement -- “Free At-Home Education Resources From Ancestry® and Access to Nearly 500M National Archives Records”.


          In regards to the 2016 request for his personnel file, we could not locate an open case for this request. We suggest that you submit a new request for a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and medical records of enlisted men of the U.S. Navy who were separated from the service after 1885 and prior to 1958 are located at NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC), (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.  To request these records, please mail a completed GSA Standard Form 180 to NPRC.  Veterans and their next of kin also may use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


          Due to the coronavirus public health emergency, the National Personnel Records Center is servicing only urgent requests related to homeless veterans, medical emergencies, and funerals which may be faxed to 314-801-0764.  We thank you for your patience and look forward to resuming normal operations when the public health emergency has ended.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!