2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 12, 2020 8:42 AM by Holly Rivet

Seeking records of Capoeman Lu Kloc

cat Raya Newbie

I just started researching my family and hit a dead end on my mothers side. I have an ancestor listed simply as klu loc or Lu Kloc, she was married to "Blind Moses". Any info would be greatly appreciated. I am Quinault, my family lives in a village called Taholah on the Washington coast.

• Re: Seeking records of Capoeman Lu Kloc
          Alice Lane Tracker

Hi Cat,

I found a "Blind Moses" in the 1911 Native American Census on familysearch.com...family search is a free ancestry website. You just near to register. Here is what I found.........https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QPZ5-VYS1

Many people with the name Moses are listed

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QPZ5-VYS1?q.givenName=blind&q.surname=moses&q.anyPlace=Quinault&f.collection…

I cannot find "klu loc or Lu Kloc" connection. Do you have more clues?

Best Wishes,

Alice Lane

1 person found this helpful
          • Re: Seeking records of Capoeman Lu Kloc
            Holly Rivet Tracker

Dear Ms. Raya, 

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the Indian Census Rolls, 1885 - 1941 in the Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs (Record Group 75) that is available using National Archives Microfilm Publication M595. Roll 417 contains a census for the Quinaielt tribe in 1885, and 1887 and you may access it for free here. The digital image does not have search capabilities, but you may set it to thumbnail view to see where each section begins. Special instructions for how the census is arranged can be located in the publication information. For more information, please contact the National Archives at Washington, DC - Textual Reference (RDT1) via email at archives1reference@nara.gov.

This series has been indexed and is searchable on Ancestry or you may check with your local library if they have a subscription they are currently allowing remote access to.  Should you choose to use Ancestry, search this series with the keyword "Quinaielt" to narrow your “hits.” In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, the National Archives has partnered with Ancestry to make the vast majority of their NARA-digitized holdings freely available to the public. Anyone with Internet access may create an account, access NARA records, and use other Ancestry resources, such as their educational offerings and family tree-maker application. For more information see Ancestry’s announcement -- “Free At-Home Education Resources From Ancestry® and Access to Nearly 500M National Archives Records”.

Additionally, the National Archives Catalog has a wealth of other smaller series to search.  Please see results for "Quinaielt" and "Quinault".  These series include records pertaining to adoptions, applications for allotments, and Indian Schools. Contact the reference unit listed in the series description.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT1 and other NARA units. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

Sincerely,

Holly Rivet

[Some information provided by Cody White, Subject Matter Expert]