1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 16, 2020 10:27 AM by Rebecca Collier

Seeking a birth certificate for John William Marshall

Sue Winter Newbie

Can you help me find out how to locate information on my great-grandfather, John William Marshall from 1848? I know he was born on November 11, 1848 at sea on the way to arrive at the port of New Orlans, LA. I do not have names of his parents - and am not certain of the ship or departure port. Searches of ship manifests have not been very helpful. Various things show his place of birth as Louisiana - at sea/ocean. One thing even said Germany, but I think that was an error. I have info that says his mother was born in Ireland and his father was born in France (census), but that's as far as it goes. There is a William Marshall listed on the Superior, but nothing indicating age, and no information regarding anyone else named Marshall. Thank you!

• Re: Seeking a birth certificate for John William Marshall
          Rebecca Collier Ranger

Dear Ms. Winter,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at New Orleans, 1820 - 1902 (M259) in the Records of the U.S. Customs Service (Record Group 36) that may include the vessel and the passengers you seek. These records are not digitized yet. For access to these lists and others for New Orleans, please contact the National Archives at Fort Worth (RM-FW) via email at ftworth.archives@nara.gov.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RM-FW. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

M259 has been digitized by Ancestry. In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, the National Archives has partnered with Ancestry to make the vast majority of their NARA-digitized holdings freely available to the public. Anyone with Internet access may create an account, access NARA records, and use other Ancestry resources, such as their educational offerings and family tree-maker application. For more information see Ancestry’s announcement -- “Free At-Home Education Resources From Ancestry® and Access to Nearly 500M National Archives Records”.

We also suggest that you contact the Louisiana State Archives for a copy of his birth certificate and review the resources listed on the FamilySearch Research wiki for Louisiana.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

2 people found this helpful