2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 17, 2020 2:57 PM by M Private

Seeking records about Henry McBride

M Private Newbie

I have the 1910 census for East Orange, NJ, and am looking at the household of my great-grandparents, Edward Lathrop and Maggie McBride. All is as it should be except there is an additional person I've never known about, Henry McBride, living with them. He is listed as a step-son, is single, and has the same last name as my great-grandmother's maiden name. It says he was born in 1868 and emigrated from Ireland in 1870. My g-grandmother is also listed as having emigrated in 1870. (This contradicts other censuses that list her as coming over in 1868.) As she was married to an American I believe she automatically received naturalization upon marriage. The step-son, Henry, is listed as having been naturalized. Would an illegitimate son gain citizenship if his mother did through marriage? Would there be paperwork regarding his change of status? 

There is no useful information to point out which court might have handled his naturalization, if any. I know my g-grandmother was working in Brooklyn and was listed in the 1870 census there as a housemaid. (No sign of Henry.) She was living in Newark, NJ, by 1876, married to her first husband. (Again, no Henry on the 1880 census.) I have her on the 1900 census (no Henry). I have her on the 1920 census (no Henry).  There is no indication of where Henry might have been at any other than the day of the 1910 census.  At this point I don't know if the census is in error and perhaps Henry was her brother, if he was her child born in Ireland and brought over with her as a two-year-old, or what happened to him before or after the 1910 census. There is nothing there, other than he was a "street laborer" on census day 1910 and lived with the family. Any ideas on how to find his naturalization paperwork with just this information, or how to find out who he was?

• Re: Seeking records about Henry McBride
          Rebecca Collier Ranger

Dear Ms. Private,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the Population Schedules for the 1890 Census;the Population Schedules for the 1900 Census, the Population Schedules for the 1910 Census, the Population Schedules for the 1920 Census, the Population Schedules for the 1930 Census, and the Population Schedules for the 1940 Census in the Records of the Bureau of the Census (Record Group 29) that may include the McBride and Lathrop families. You may be able to determine when Maggie McBride & Edward Lathrop married and Maggie became a citizen. Some of the schedules have been digitized in part or whole (for 1940 only). We also located Passenger Lists, 1820 - 1897 (M237) in the Records of the U.S. Customs Service (Record Group 36) and Passenger and Crew Lists of Vessels Arriving at New York, NY, 6/16/1897 - 7/3/1957 (M1066) in the Records of the Immigration and Naturalization Service (Record Group 85) that may include her arrival. For access to the non-digitized schedules, M237 & M1066, please contact the National Archives at Washington, DC - Textual Reference (RDT1) via email at archives1reference@nara.gov.

Ancestry has digitized all of the census schedules, M237 & M1066. In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, the National Archives has partnered with Ancestry to make the vast majority of their NARA-digitized holdings freely available to the public. Anyone with Internet access may create an account, access NARA records, and use other Ancestry resources, such as their educational offerings and family tree-maker application. For more information see Ancestry’s announcement -- “Free At-Home Education Resources From Ancestry® and Access to Nearly 500M National Archives Records”.

If Henry was indeed Maggie’s son, and he was a minor when Maggie married Edward, he would have derived U.S. citizenship through Maggie. The citizenship would pass from the husband to the wife, and from the wife to the child. Henry would technically be receiving his citizenship from his mother, not Edward. In that case, Henry’s name could appear on Maggie’s certificate of citizenship (if she obtained one), but there would be no formal documentation of the derivation. An illegitimate child might acquire U.S. Citizenship through their mother if she married a U.S. citizen before 1922 or she naturalized thereafter. USCIS maintains duplicate copies of court records (including the certificate of citizenship) created September 27, 1906-March 31, 1956 within Certificate Files (C-Files). Copies of C-Files may be requested through the USCIS Genealogy Program.

Conversely, Henry may have pursued citizenship on his own by following the traditional routes submitting a Declaration and Petition; or knowing that he likely entered the US as a minor, he may have utilized provisions of The Act of May 26, 1824 that allowed immigrants who arrived before their 18th birthday to, upon reaching age 21, petition for naturalization without filing a prior declaration of intention.  Petitions filed under this provision are usually called "Minor Naturalizations" because they relate to individuals who arrived as a minor (but who were an adult, age 21 or older, when actually naturalized).  There would be no immediate way of knowing where the naturalization proceeding may have taken place given the gaps in knowledge surrounding Henry. Therefore, we suggest contacting the National Archives at New York (RE-NY) via email at newyork.archives@nara.gov since RE-NY maintains naturalization records for New Jersey where Henry resided at one point during his time in the U.S.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT1 and RE-NY. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

[Some information provided by Elizabeth Burnes, Subject Matter Expert]

• Re: Seeking records about Henry McBride
              M Private Newbie

Hi, Rebecca/Elizabeth.

Thanks for your very thorough response.  Ed Lathrop was her second husband. Maggie got her citizenship (I assume) by marrying her first husband (Patrick H. Heary) at St. Patrick's in Brooklyn 22 May 1873. The earliest trace I found of her is in the 1870 census, working for the Daniel Valentine family in Brooklyn. The next is of her is the marriage to Mr. Heary in 1873. The family moved to Newark, NJ by February 1876 (birth of second child there), Mr. Heary died of injuries incurred as a Civil War soldier. (dod - Nov 1876 on Bank Street, Newark, NJ.) I have Maggie's application for a Civil War Widow's Pension, which was paid through 1904. There is no mention of Henry there. There is also no mention of how or when PH Heary became a citizen in those papers, but I assume he had already done that prior to meeting and marrying Maggie. (I also have no info on when he came to the USA from Ireland.)

In the 1880 US Census Maggie is listed as a widow, her brother James is living with the family.  In the 1900 US Census her name is still “Heary” and she is listed as a widow. She was pulling in the Civil War Widow's Pension until 1904, when it ended for reasons unknown. (I suspect a bit of fraud was going on here, as Maggie and Ed had two children in the 1880s together, and he converted to RC in 1897.) The 1910 census lists Maggie McBride and Ed Lathrop as married, with Henry living with them as a “step-son”. And naturalized. That is his first and only appearance of Henry McBride of which I am aware. He is not living with them in 1920, and both Maggie and Ed died in 1925.

As Maggie probably became a citizen when she married Patrick H. Heary, I don't think there would be a certificate for her. Henry is supposed to have come to the USA with Maggie (according to the 1910 census) in 1870. In the Pension application James filed a deposition stating he traveled with Maggie from Ireland. There is no mention of a Henry. I find no record of any of them together in a ship's manifest in the most likely years to NY. I also doubt the 1870 date is accurate, as the date is different on all other paperwork. (In the CW Widow's Pension application Maggie states the date as 1868.)  I am wondering if Henry is actually James giving a false name?

I will try the one remaining straw – checking the Minor Naturalizations with the NY NARA.

Thank you for your kind assistance.