2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 9, 2020 12:49 PM by Thomas Richardson

Seeking citations & hospital record of CPL Pedro Oxonian

Elle Oxonian Donato Newbie

Hello, I'm looking for the WD AGO; official military citation; detailed hospital record, morning reports of February 11, 1942, and any other military record (including any information about the 45th Infantry Regiment) that may remain and was not destroyed by the 1973 Fire at the National Archives in St. Louis, for my grandfather, Corporal Pedro Oxonian, Army, Company H, 45th Infantry Regiment, Philippine Scouts. His ASN # 06737867.

My grandfather was KIA on February 11, 1942, during WWII in the Battle of the Points in Anysan and Silaaim Points. Before he was KIA, I found a hospital record dated, simply, February 1942, without much detail, but I can gather he was likely unconscious when he was brought in because his age and DOB were estimates. He was diagnosed with Causative Agent as unspecified enemy action and injured in the line of duty (Battle Casualty). He then returned to the battlefield and was KIA, days later.

I have a copy of a detailed report of what happened and my grandfather is specifically mentioned. As a result of his actions in the battlefield he was posthumously awarded the Distinguished Cross, Bronze Star, and Purple Heart, although I found another source online that shows an additional 6 medals. I am his granddaughter (one of many who reside throughout the U.S., in Canada, and the few that remain in the Philippines), and my mother is his only remaining living child. She turns 82 in July this year and my family would be deeply grateful for any information you can locate and provide or to point me in the right direction on where I can find this information on my grandfather. Thank you so much in advance.

• Re: Seeking citations & hospital record of CPL Pedro Oxonian
          Alice Lane Tracker

Hi Elle,

You will need to go to https://www.archives.gov/research/order.

Fill out all of the forms required so that you can get a copy of his records and perhaps replacements for the medals that he definitely deserved.

Best Wishes,

please do not hesitate if you need additional assistance.

Alice Lane

• Re: Seeking citations & hospital record of CPL Pedro Oxonian
            Thomas Richardson Tracker

Dear Ms. Donato,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

If you have not already, we suggest that you request a copy of his military service personnel files. Military service personnel files for members of the Philippines Scouts are located at NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NRPC), (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.  To request a copy of these records, please mail a completed GSA Standard Form 180 to NPRC. Please provide the veteran’s name, date of birth, rank, branch of service, service number, and dates of service.

Due to the coronavirus public health emergency, the National Personnel Records Center is servicing only urgent requests related to homeless veterans, medical emergencies, and funerals which may be faxed to 314-801-0764.  We thank you for your patience and look forward to resuming normal operations when the public health emergency has ended.

Some additional information that you are seeking may be contained in his Individual Deceased Personnel File (IDPF). For the IDPFs from 1940-1976 of personnel with surnames that begin with M-Z,  please write to U.S. Army Human Resources Command, Casualty & Memorial Affairs Operations Division, ATTN: AHRC-PDC, 1600 Spearhead Division Avenue, Department 450, Fort Knox, KY 40122-5405.

The Philippine Archives Collection in the Records of the Adjutant General's Office, 1917- (Records Group 407) contains the United States Army Forces in the Far East (USAFFE) records for 1941-1942. Please review the series listed. Then contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov for more information.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

1 person found this helpful