2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 15, 2020 11:17 AM by Cara Jensen

Seeking records of 2nd Platoon, Co A, 2nd Ranger Battalion

Carrie Fisher Newbie

My grandfather was PFC Donald Ashline in the 2nd Platoon Assault Squad Rifleman, Company A, 2nd Ranger Battalion during WWII. They landed on Omaha Beach. I am looking for any and all information or pictures if available. I appreciate the help.

• Re: Seeking records of 2nd Platoon, Co A, 2nd Ranger Battalion
          Elliot Schneider Navigator

Hello Carrie,

Have you tried requesting his records. My research shows he was a T/5 upon discharge and he has a Silver Star, and Two Purple Hearts. In my personnel collection of documents I have a document listing your grandfather in Company A 2nd Ranger BN. Please see him listed below under Company A.

Thanks,

Elliot Schneider

1 person found this helpful
          • Re: Seeking records of 2nd Platoon, Co A, 2nd Ranger Battalion
            Cara Jensen Scout

Dear Ms. Fisher,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the World War II Operations Reports, 1940-1948 in the Records of the Adjutant General's Office, 1905-1981 (Record Group 407) and located after action reports of the 2nd Ranger Battalion. For access to and/or copies of these records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov. We were unable to locate specific records of the platoon or Company A.  Records of lower echelon units sometimes were incorporated into the files of the battalion.

Photographs of various U.S. Army, Navy, and Marine Corps activities dating from 1940 to 2007 are in the custody of the National Archives at College Park - Still Picture (RDSS). Please contact RDSS via email at stillpix@nara.gov and their web site is https://www.archives.gov/dc-metro/college-park/photographs-dc.html.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2 and RDSS. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

1 person found this helpful