4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 8, 2020 7:33 AM by Jason Atkinson

    Seeking owner of dog tag


      I have a WWII dog tag that was in my Grandfather's items and does not belong to a relative. I was trying to locate military information about him but was unable to find him in my search. Any suggestions?

        • Re: Seeking owner of dog tag
          J. Andrew Scout

          What is written on the dog tag? What sources have you already searched?

          Also, did your Grandfather serve, and if so, when and which branch of the military? If he served, might this have belonged to someone he knew in the military?

          • Re: Seeking owner of dog tag
            Jason Atkinson Ranger

            Dear Mr. McGregor,

            Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


            We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for those who served in the U.S. Armed Forces and who were separated from the service prior to 1958 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where Army and Army Air Corps personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Navy and Marine Corps OMPFs were not affected by the fire. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.

            If there is any information requested by the SF-180 which you do not know, you may leave it blank or provide estimates (such as writing “World War II” for dates), however the more information you provide, the easier it will be for NPRC staff to locate the correct file. Also, if you believe he may have served with you grandfather, you may wish to attach an additional letter with your grandfather’s service information (branch, dates of service, unit information, etc) and an explanation that Sameul Mears may have had some overlap in the times and places he served.  This might help NPRC staff locate relevant unit records such as morning reports in case they are unable to locate the OMPF. If you do not already have this information for your grandfather, you may wish to first request his OMPF using the same procedures outlined above. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


            Due to the coronavirus public health emergency, the National Personnel Records Center is servicing only urgent requests related to homeless veterans, medical emergencies, and funerals which may be faxed to 314-801-0764.  We thank you for your patience and look forward to resuming normal operations when the public health emergency has ended.


            We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!