2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 10, 2020 8:50 AM by Jason Atkinson

Seeking records of Colonel Claro Lopez

Paul Lopez Newbie

My grandfather, United States Army Colonel Claro Lopez of Bulacan, Nueva Ecija, Philippines, according to my grandmother, Felicidad Policarpio Lopez was never found after the Second World War. The last contact was noted during the Bataan death march. Unfortunately, he was officially considered MIA/POW. Is there any way I could get a picture of him or possible military information of his service that you can release for me to share with the family? The family has nothing to show his great grandchildren much less to my generation, his grandchildren. I've been told, to my misfortune, that all of his and my dad's pictures and documents were burned during the war. If there's a way you can help us, please let me know. My dad's 90 now and he'd be delighted to see his dad's picture again. He was a toddler when grandpa joined the Army (USAFFE). Your help is most appreciated. The family will be of deep gratitude to you.

• Re: Seeking records of Colonel Claro Lopez
          Alice Lane Tracker

Hi Paul,

Records of members of USAFFE by family members filling out a form. Directions to do so are found on the following web page.

If you need more assistance please do not hesitate to ask.

https://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records

So nice for you to do this for your Dad.

Best Wishes

Good Luck in your search.

Alice Lane

• Re: Seeking records of Colonel Claro Lopez
            Jason Atkinson Pioneer

Dear Mr. Lopez,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

Medical and personnel records of individuals who served in the Army of the Philippines are located at NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NRPC), (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.  To request these records, please mail a completed GSA Standard Form 180 to NPRC. Please be advised that most personnel files do not include photographs of soldiers.

Also, we searched the National Archives Catalog and located 39 record series relating to the US Army Forces Far East. Please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at Archives2reference@nara.gov for further information about the bulk of these series, and the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL) via email at stl.archives@nara.gov for further information about Philippine Prisoners of War Card Files, 1941 - 1946.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2 and RL-SL. Also, the National Personnel Records Center is servicing only urgent requests related to homeless veterans, medical emergencies, and funerals which may be faxed to 314-801-0764.  We thank you for your patience and look forward to resuming normal operations when the public health emergency has ended.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!