3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 4, 2020 11:51 AM by Jason Atkinson

Looking for DFC citation for my deceased father-in-law

Mark Williams Newbie

My dear father-in-law, William James Spelliscy, flew 53 missions in B-24 and, mostly B-17s out of the Foggia Complex in Italy (primarily out of Lucera Air Field), December 1943 through October 1944. His Military microfiche record shows "21 Aug 1944. DFC per GO2487, HqXVAF." For most of his combat time, including August of 1944, he was with the 15th AAF, 301 st BG, 352nd B Sqdn. It would be very significant and helpful if I could get both confirmation of that citation and any information about what valor or heroism led to him receiving that recognition. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Re: Looking for DFC citation for my deceased father-in-law
          Elliot Schneider Pioneer

Mark,

Was able to find additional awards for your father in law. See below, I'm trying to make contact with a source but he is working remotely from the College.

RankGeneral OrderDateNotesAwardRibbon & Device

William Spelliscy

2nd Lt

05/30/1944

AM

Air Medal (AM)

William Spelliscy

2nd Lt

06/19/1944

AM/1OLC

Air Medal (AM) Oak Leaf Cluster (OLC)

William Spelliscy

2nd Lt

07/06/1944

AM/2OLC

William Spelliscy

1st Lt

08/11/1944

DFC

Distinguished Flying Cross (DFC)

William Spelliscy

1st Lt

08/21/1944

AM/3OLC

Hope this Helps,

Elliot Schneider

• Re: Looking for DFC citation for my deceased father-in-law
            Jason Atkinson Pioneer

Dear Mr. Williams,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and locate the series Award Cards, 1942 - 1963 in the Records of the National Archives and Records Administration (Record Group 64) that includes Air Force Award Cards [Distinguished Flying Cross]: Spelger, Edward - Steimer, JosephImage 7 is the award card for William J. Spelliscy’s Distinguished Flying Cross (DFC). The card states the citation for the award as General Order No. 2487, Headquarters, Fifteenth Air Force, dated August 11, 1944.

In the same series, we also located Air Force Award Cards: Spaan, William - Spezzano, Michae. Image 738 is the award card for William J. Spelliscy’s Air Medal with 3 Oak Leaf Clusters. The original award and the oak leaf clusters were also awarded under various 1944 general orders of the Headquarters, Fifteenth Air Force. The precise dates of these orders are not given.

The National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) has custody of microfilm copies of operational records relating to U.S. Army Air Force units.  We searched the Air Force History Index to the microfilm and located 33 records for 1944 General orders of the Fifteenth Air Force, to include August 10th through 16th General Orders that should include the order for his Distinguished Flying Cross. Please read the brief Abstract to determine which records you are interested in and click on the specific PDF icon. In the PDF listing, the IRISREF is the microfilm reel number and note the FRAME and FRAMELST numbers for the location on the reel. Please contact RDT2 via email at archives2reference@nara.gov and provide that information.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RDT2. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!