3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 5, 2020 10:08 AM by Jason Atkinson

Seeking service record for deceased Merchant Marine

Donita Hazlett Newbie

I'm seeking my Brother-in-Laws service record, he was in the Merchant Marines during WWII.  I understand they were recently moved to the St. Louis military records repository - is this correct?  Do i need to submit a SF180?  This is for genealogy purposes only; his daughter (my niece) said they established his veteran status prior to his death. Thank you

• Re: Seeking service record for deceased Merchant Marine
          Jason Atkinson Pioneer

Dear Ms. Hazlett,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

The Merchant Marine Personnel and Licensing Records dated prior to 1968 in the Records of the U.S. Coast Guard (Record Group 26) are in the custody of the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL). Please contact RL-SL via email at stl.archives@nara.gov.  Include the name, date of birth, dates of service, "Z" number, and date of death, if known, in your request.

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RL-SL. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We hope this information is helpful.

Donita Hazlett Newbie

Thank you for this information.

I don't know what the "Z" number is.

Jason Atkinson Pioneer

Dear Ms. Hazlett,

Thank you for posting your follow up request on History Hub!

The “Z number” is his Merchant Marine service number. If you do not know this information or any of the other information listed in my previous response, you may omit it in your request, however the more information you provide, the easier it will be for the staff of the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL) to locate the correct file.

As stated before, due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of NARA staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgement as well as a substantive response to your reference request from RL-SL. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience.

We hope this information is helpful.