2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 11, 2020 10:44 PM by Brenda Faucheux

    Seeking medical records of dad


      I am looking for Medical Records of my dad who was in the Army and fought in the Philippines during WWII. My father fought in Luzon, 1945.  I was told by his sisters that they did not hear from him for a while and the Red Cross searched for him. They told my grandmother that my dad had a breakdown and was in a hospital in Germany.  Would there be any records?

        • Re: Seeking medical records of dad
          Thomas Richardson Navigator

          Dear Ms. Faucheux,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for those who served in the U.S. Armed Forces and who were separated from the service prior to 1958 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where Army and Army Air Corps personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Navy and Marine Corps OMPFs were not affected by the fire. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. You can also fax the form to 314-801-9195. Veterans and their next of kin can also use eVetRecs to request records. See eVetRecs Help for instructions. For more information see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.


          When searching for medical records of World War II veterans, there are a couple routes you can choose to explore. Clinical (inpatient) records are compiled when members are actually hospitalized while in the service. An overnight stay or admission generally makes a patient an inpatient.  The resulting records from hospital care are called either clinical or inpatient records.  Clinical (inpatient) records are filed by the name of the hospital in which the member was treated.  Therefore, please send the name of the hospital, month (if known) and year of treatment, as well as the veteran's name and social security or service number to NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC), (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.  Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 when making an inquiry to that office. Clinical records retired by hospitals to NPRC include Army hospitals from 1960, Air Force hospitals from 1957, and Navy hospitals from the 1940s.


          The SGO (Office of the Surgeon General) Hospital Admission Electronic Data Files is a listing of numbers that can be used to produce a patient fact sheet. The year range is 1942-1945, 1950-1954, 1958-1963.  To request these records, please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's Military Personnel Records, National Personnel Records Center, 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.


          Due to the coronavirus public health emergency, the National Personnel Records Center is servicing only urgent requests related to homeless veterans, medical emergencies, and funerals which may be faxed to 314-801-0764.  We thank you for your patience and look forward to resuming normal operations when the public health emergency has ended.


          We hope this information is helpful.